Re: Output PNGs in different sizes

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 18 2012 - 14:16:23 MDT

Dave,

So "setvalues" doesn't give you an error or warning message if you try to set a non-settable resource in a setvalues block?

If not, do you think this is something that should be considered?

--Mary

On Jun 18, 2012, at 2:04 PM, David Brown wrote:

> wkWidth and wkHeight have always been documented as RCG in the HLU documents (meaning settable from a resource file, or during creation, and gettable) but the S is missing, which means that the documented behavior is that these resources cannot be changed after the workstation is open. Whether this is actually necessary with the new Cairo-based workstation, I don't know. We can certainly look into this and it may be possible to remove the restriction.
> -dave
>
> On Jun 18, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
>
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a bug or the correct behavior, but you can't change the size of the PNG output after you've already created it with gsn_open_wks.
>>
>> In other words, using "setvalues" to change the size will never work.
>>
>> I'll file a ticket on this just in case.
>>
>> Meanwhile, if you want to get different sizes, you will need to open up a new PNG file with a new call to gsn_open_wks and a different file name.
>>
>> I've attached a small example.
>>
>> --Mary
>> <png_example.ncl>
>> On Jun 18, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Jonas Kaufmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to generate PNGs in different sizes from GRIB weather
>>> data. The map should always show the same area, but the output PNG
>>> files should have different sizes. I know that I can call the output
>>> function (like gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map) in a loop, but I am looking
>>> to get a better performance than this approach.
>>>
>>> In the "Animation" examples, I see that I can set some variables
>>> afterwards and then simply call draw and frame for the next animation
>>> step. However it seems that these options are not available for
>>> wkWidth and wkHeight.
>>>
>>> Here are some snippets of my script:
>>>
>>> wks_type = "png"
>>> wks_type@wkWidth = 256
>>> wks_type@wkHeight = 256
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks(wks_type,outfile)
>>> [...]
>>> ;;; first image: 256x256px
>>> plot = gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map(wks, wind_u, wind_v, wind_speed, res1)
>>> draw(plot)