Errors with ESMF_regrid_gen_weights

From: Chad Herman <chad.scott.herman_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jun 27 2012 - 17:18:51 MDT

Hi,

I'm having trouble using the new EMSF regridding functions. I have
almost 37,000 stations to interpolate into a 2.5x2.5 grid. When I call
"unstructured_to_ESMF", I get numerous warnings: "GCTAREA: The three
input points must be distinct." I'm sure there are coordinates that are
identical and that's what's provoking these warnings. That's not the
problem though. I then call latlon_to_SCRIP with no problems. Next, I
call ESMF_regrid_gen_weights and that throws an error:

warning:getvardims: file (null) contains no dimensions readable by NCL
fatal:The result of the conditional expression yields a missing value.
NCL can not determine branch, see ismissing function
fatal:["Execute.c":7556]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1580 in
file ESMF_regridding.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":7556]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1629 in
file ESMF_regridding.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":7556]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1864 in
file ESMF_regridding.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":7554]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 32

I've attached a script to illustrate the problem as well as a netCDF
file containing my source grid. I saw in the documentation a note that
the ESMF_regridding.ncl file has a bug in it. I downloaded the updated
version. I don't believe the bug it addresses is causing my problem.
Using either the ESMF_regridding.ncl file that comes with NCL or the
updated version still results in this error.

Chad