Possible bug in triple2grid

From: Chad Herman <chad.scott.herman_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2012 - 22:09:30 MDT

Hi,

I was trying to interpolate about 37,000 stations measuring temperature
into a regular 2.5 x 2.5 grid. I had tried the ESMF utilities but ran
into some problems (that problem is still being investigated). I began
to experiment with bin_avg and triple2grid. I know these aren't really
"interpolation" functions, but I wanted to see the results. I found
something very strange that makes me think there may be a bug in
triple2grid. Attached to this message is an archive with a netCDF file
containing the temperature data, an NCL script to load and "interpolate"
the data, and a PNG showing the results. Both results look reasonable
but triple2grid's results appear to be shifted southwest relative to
bin_avg.

I plan on using some other interpolation scheme for the analysis I'm
working on, but I think this might be a serious enough issue to be
investigated.

Chad