Re: reading variable attributes

From: David B. Reusch <dreusch_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2012 - 14:02:55 MDT

Thanks Dennis but that's the answer to a different question from what I
had in mind. I was just trying to confirm whether NCL is reading in the
whole variable when performing an operation to get an attribute, like
the example you provided. My understanding of the netCDF library is
that it shouldn't have to. But I'm either misunderstanding or NCL is
reading it all since my few tests have taken about the same time to read
the var or read its attribute. I was hoping an up-front investment to
read the var/save the stats as attributes would pay off later when I
just read the attributes.

If I haven't already spent too much time (mine and yours) on this, I
suspect I'll be there soon...

Thanks,
Dave

--
Associate Research Professor of Climatology
Dept of Earth and Environmental Science