Re: Centered and uncentered pattern correlations

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2012 - 13:49:17 MDT

The pattern correlation function (pattern_cor) is located in:

%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

This calls 'pattern_cor2' whicg contains

   if (opt.eq.0) then ; centered correlation
       sumWGT = sum(WGT)
       xAvgArea = sum(x*WGT)/sumWGT ; weighted area average
       yAvgArea = sum(y*WGT)/sumWGT

       xAnom = x - xAvgArea ; anomalies
       yAnom = y - yAvgArea

       xyCov = sum(WGT*xAnom*yAnom)
       xAnom2 = sum(WGT*xAnom^2)
       yAnom2 = sum(WGT*yAnom^2)
   else
       xyCov = sum(WGT*x*y)
       xAnom2 = sum(WGT*x^2)
       yAnom2 = sum(WGT*y^2)
   end if

So, "no" the overall areal mean is subtracted