Information about XQuartz 2.7.x (for MacOS) and NCL V6.1.0-beta

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2012 - 10:25:58 MDT

Hi all,

[If you are not a Mac user, you can disregard this message.]

For those of you buying new Macs or upgrading your Macs to Mountain Lion (10.8), you may notice that the first time you run an X11 application (like NCL and sending the output to an "x11" window), it asks you to install an X11 server. It's going to walk you through some steps to install XQuartz 2.7.x.

Unfortunately, NCL Version 6.1.0-beta does not work with XQuartz 2.7.x, and we've been unable to find any work-around. This is only an issue if you are sending your output to an "x11" window. It's fine if you send your output to PS or PDF. (I'm uncertain about PNG right now.) NCL versions 6.0.0 and earlier should work fine.

I was able to reproduce the problem on my own MacOS 10.7 system by upgrading to XQuartz 2.7.2. I also saw the problem with XQuartz 2.7.1 and 2.7.3_rc2. It wouldn't let me downgrade to 2.7.0 or 2.6.x, so I was unable to test these.

Long story short: stay away from XQuartz 2.7.x if you need to use NCL 6.1.0-beta *and* send the output to an X11 window.

We'll keep you posted of any fixes or work-arounds.