wrf_cape_3d

From: Martin Scherer <mscherer_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Aug 15 2012 - 14:51:36 MDT

Hi

I have two question regarding the function wrf_cape_3d. Specifically, the meaning of "out of bound"-values in the documentation is unclear to me, and I get an "capecalc3d: Outside of lookup table bounds"out of bound"-error.

You state in the documentation that "out of bound" values resulted in a cape value of -0.1, and that in the future that will be a _FillValue. I have been using the wrf_cape_3d routine with output from several models and have seen the resulting CAPE of -0.1. I had assumed that the function returns -0.1 instead of 0. Am I correct with my interpretation, or is an "out of bound"-value related to the error message: "capecalc3d: Outside of lookup table bounds", or is it something else entirely?

I am aware that an "out of bound"-value should not be connected to the "capecalc3d: Outside of lookup table bounds"-error, as there wouldn't any -0.1 values otherwise. Further, I am confident that I use the correct units for my input variables (in particular Pa for the "p" variable and hPa for the "psfc" variable).

Anyway, it would be great if you could clarify the meaning of "out of bound"-value and if you had any advice on how to tackle the "capecalc3d: Outside of lookup table bounds" problem. I have searched the archive for the latter, but haven't found a useful entry. Also, would you know the bounds of the lookup table, so that I could check my input?

Thanks!
Martin