Re: Problems with ESMF_regrid

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 12 2012 - 14:35:39 MDT

Jane,

The previous script will work, but is not necessary. I realized that if I make the longitudes go from 0 to 360 instead of -180 to 180, the script
works just fine. See the attached script, which doesn't require you to subscript the destination grid.

I added these two lines (and cleaned up the script a bit):

    wrf_lon2d = where(wrf_lon2d.lt.0,360+wrf_lon2d,wrf_lon2d)
    dst_lon2d = where(dst_lon2d.lt.0,360+dst_lon2d,dst_lon2d)

--Mary

On Sep 12, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Mary Haley wrote:

> Jane,
>
> When you use the "conserve" method, you need to provide the grid corners, otherwise the NCL-ESMF software
> will have to guess at them. I didn't see any grid corner lat/lon info on your NARR file, so we are having to
> use whatever NCL guesses. I think in this case, the guess was not ideal, and hence you got a "concave"
> error message.
>
> I noticed that your source grid (the WRF grid) was in a smaller area than your destination grid (NARR),
> so I decided to subscript the NARR grid to be roughly in the same area as the WRF grid, before
> regridding. I used region_ind to do this.
>
> Please see the attached modified version of your script and the resultant PDF file. You may want to play
> around with the latS, latN, lonW, and lonE values if you want a larger area of the destination grid to be used.
>
> Meanwhile, I will see if we can improve things so that in the future you don't have to subscript
> the destination grid.
>
> --Mary
>
> <ESMF_regrid_16_region.ncl><ESMF_regrid.pdf>
> On Sep 12, 2012, at 10:51 AM, jokalebo@huskers.unl.edu wrote:
>
>> Yes Mary, I now notice that regridding from WRF to NARR works well with "bilinear" and "patch". It generates weights quite okay.
>>
>> ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: 'ESMF_RegridWeightGen' was successful.
>>
>> However, I get the message:
>>
>> (0) daily total precipitation: min=0 max=38.1984
>> (0) check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
>> (0) A valid latitude coordinate array should have a 'units' attribute equal to one of the following values:
>> (0) 'degrees_north' 'degrees-north' 'degree_north' 'degrees north' 'degrees_N' 'Degrees_north' 'degree_N' 'degreeN' 'degreesN' 'deg north'
>> (0) check_for_lon_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid longitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
>> (0) A valid longitude coordinate array should have a 'units' attribute equal to one of the following values:
>> (0) 'degrees_east' 'degrees-east' 'degree_east' 'degrees east' 'degrees_E' 'Degrees_east' 'degree_E' 'degreeE' 'degreesE' 'deg east'
>> (0) get_lon_values: Warning: The range your of longitude values is greater than 360.
>> (0) get_lon_values: Warning: The range your of longitude values is greater than 360.
>>

>> I have now sent the file to the incoming folder and these are the files:
>>
>> "narrmon-a_221_20020601_0000_000.nc"
>> "ESMF_regrid_16.ncl"
>> "WRF_monthly_CLM_2002_06.nc"
>> and "narrmon-a_221_20020601_0000_000.grb"
>>
>> Please assist me address the problems that are mentioned above.
>>
>> I generated the narrmon-a_221_20020601_0000_000.nc file by converting a grib file using ncl_convert2nc
> [...]
>>> 20120912 040806.638 ERROR PET0 ESMCI_Regrid_F.C:146 c_esmc_regrid_create() Invalid argument - Dst contains a concave cell
>>> 20120912 040806.638 ERROR PET0 ESMCI_Regrid_F.C:282 c_esmc_regrid_create() Invalid argument Internal subroutine call returned Error
>>> 20120912 040806.638 ERROR PET0 ESMF_Regrid.F90:383 ESMF_RegridStore Invalid argument - Internal subroutine call returned Error