Re: Information about XQuartz 2.7.x (for MacOS) and NCL V6.1.0-beta

From: Carl Schreck <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Sep 04 2012 - 09:14:08 MDT

This workaround did not work for me. But I am using NCL on a remote server
through ssh w/ X forwarding.

I have not had any issues with PNG though. I am using OS X 10.8 and XQuartz
2.7.3.

   Carl

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Craig Mattocks <mattocks@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>
> I just installed Mountain Lion (Mac OS X 10.8.1), Xcode 4.4.1, the Xcode
> command-line tools, XQuartz 2.7.3, and NCL 6.1.0-beta.
>
> The key to making NCL work with X11 was to add /usr/lib in the dynamic
> load library path variable, .e.g.:
>
> #########################
> # Enhance library paths #
> #########################
> if !($?DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH) then
> setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/lib
> else
> setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}
> endif
>
> Best,
> Craig
>
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:25:58 -0600 Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > [If you are not a Mac user, you can disregard this message.]
> >
> > For those of you buying new Macs or upgrading your Macs to Mountain Lion
> (10.8), you may notice that the first time you run an X11 application (like
> NCL and sending the output to an "x11" window), it asks you to install an
> X11 server. It's going to walk you through some steps to install XQuartz
> 2.7.x.
> >
> > Unfortunately, NCL Version 6.1.0-beta does not work with XQuartz 2.7.x,
> and we've been unable to find any work-around. This is only an issue if you
> are sending your output to an "x11" window. It's fine if you send your
> output to PS or PDF. (I'm uncertain about PNG right now.) NCL versions
> 6.0.0 and earlier should work fine.
> >
> > I was able to reproduce the problem on my own MacOS 10.7 system by
> upgrading to XQuartz 2.7.2. I also saw the problem with XQuartz 2.7.1 and
> 2.7.3_rc2. It wouldn't let me downgrade to 2.7.0 or 2.6.x, so I was unable
> to test these.
> >
> > Long story short: stay away from XQuartz 2.7.x if you need to use NCL
> 6.1.0-beta *and* send the output to an X11 window.
> >
> > We'll keep you posted of any fixes or work-arounds.
> >
> > --Mary

Carl J. Schreck III, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS-NC)
North Carolina State University and NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Tel: 828-257-3140
carl@cicsnc.org