Re: Select a broad seasonal mean

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Sep 21 2012 - 09:35:37 MDT

Hi Yang,
You can use runave_n_Wrap:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/runave_n_Wrap.shtml

; arr = 3D array w/dimensions ordered/named time | lat | lon
opt = 0
temp = runave_n_Wrap(arr,6,opt,0)
arr_sondjf = temp(10::12,:,:) ; select SONDJF
delete([/arr,temp/])

You will want to investigate which end-point option to set in
runave_n_Wrap; in the example above I set opt=0.

Also note that the syntax 10::12 refers to selecting the 10th index
value, which after applying the running average = the SONDJF value, and
then incrementing every 12 index values to select the other SONDJF
indices. (See the end-point option documentation on the website above
for examples of which indices the running averages are placed in.)

Hope that helps. If not, please reply to ncl-talk.
Adam