Re: SH polar contour not appear

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 19 2012 - 09:50:28 MDT

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for providing a script and a link to your data.

The problem is that your x and y coordinate arrays, which are supposed to represent longitude and latitude values, do not have a "units" attribute to indicate that these are degrees_east and degrees_north.

I fixed this by adding "units" attributes:

elv&x@units = "degrees_east"
elv&y@units = "degrees_north"

Your "elv" array has "NaN" as a missing value, which will not work in NCL. It appears you don't have any NaNs in your data, so you're okay for now. But, in the future, you might want to consider changing this value to, say, the default missing value for the type of "elv":

elv@_FillValue = default_fillvalue(typeof(elv)) ; Replace NaN w/a valid value

Please see the attached modified script and resultant PNG file. I didn't try changing the contour levels, so this plot can probably be improved by selecting better contour levels to go with the color map you've chosen.

--Mary