rotated coordinates

From: Alexander Semenov <asemenov_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Oct 03 2012 - 16:40:49 MDT

Hi

I have a question about processing rotated coordinates data in NCL. I don't
know how to do that, Do you have any suggestions?

I have a modeling output files each of them containing the following:

netcdf atm.1961-08.daily {
dimensions:
lon = 110 ;
lat = 100 ;
record = UNLIMITED ; // (31 currently)
variables:
float mslp(record, lat, lon) ;
mslp:WMO = 1 ;
mslp:LTYP = 103 ;
mslp:ALEV = 0.f ;
float u10(record, lat, lon) ;
u10:WMO = 33 ;
u10:LTYP = 105 ;
u10:ALEV = 10.f ;
float v10(record, lat, lon) ;
v10:WMO = 34 ;
v10:LTYP = 105 ;
v10:ALEV = 10.f ;

In addition to it, I have a dat file which contains in the 3rd column the
geographical latitude, in 4th column it is the geogr. longitude (the 1st
and 2nd columns contain the rotated coord.)

I'm trying to plot wind speed by running the following script:

begin

  wks = gsn_open_wks("x11","wind")

  path="/import/archive/u1/uaf/asemenov/all_files/HIRHAM/"

  files = systemfunc("ls "+path+"atm.*")

  do j = 0, dimsizes(files)-1
  fname = files(j)

  f = addfile (fname, "r")

  gsn_define_colormap(wks,"WhiteGreen")

  res = True

u = f->u10
  v = f->v10
  lat2d = f->lat ; read in 2D lat/lon
  lon2d = f->lon
  var = u
  var = -999.
  var = (u^2+v^2)^0.5
  var@long_name = "wind speed at 10m"
    plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,var(j,:,:),res)
  draw(plot)
  frame(wks)

end do

end