NCL data compression

From: Ravi Shekhar <ravi.shekhar_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Oct 21 2012 - 09:53:38 MDT

Hi,

I have some WRF output that is very disk intensive (pushing into the several terabyte range). It is output in NetCDF 64 bit offset file format.

Is it possible for me to enable some sort of compression on this data? Perhaps after converting to NetCDF-4, which, as I understand it, supports compression? I did a quick test with gzip, and `gzip -1` reduces size to about 1/3 of previous, which would be extremely helpful.

All of my analysis code is in NCL, so conversion to any file format NCL supports should be fine. I have to concatenate a large number of files anyway, so I was going to use `ncrcat -4` from the NCO utilities to do the conversion.

Thanks,
Ravi

--
Ravi Shekhar