Re: NetCDF addfile question

From: Ping Yang <pyang_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 09 2012 - 14:22:00 MST

Dear NCL,

I found this topic very interesting.

Here I have questions, if I want to spatially stitch multiple files into
one file, how can I do it? Can I create an array for one variable that take
all this variable values and informations in difference files? Are there
some functions to do this in NCL?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Ping

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM, David Brown <dbrown@ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> It is true that you cannot get the global file attributes from the list
> variable that contains the aggregation of all the files. That is at least
> in part because the global attributes for each file will not necessarily
> have the same values, even if they form a logical sequence of files. Also
> until recently 'list' type variables did not support attributes. However,
> you do not have to open a particular file in a separate 'addfile' call to
> get the global attributes for any individual file. Rather than
>
> AttsAll=getvaratts(fAll)
>
> just use:
>
> AttsAll=getvaratts(fAll[0])
>
> Hope this helps.
> -dave
>
> On Nov 7, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Nick Guy wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I created NetCDF files recently and used the addfiles function to read a
> list. I was having trouble reading in the global attributes until I
> discovered that I had to only read one file at a time via addfile to be
> able to properly read global attributes. So just a general question: Anyone
> know why are the attributes not allowed to be read in the same way as
> variables for the different functions?
> >
> > I've pasted the snippet of code below that I help demonstrates what I am
> getting at.
> > ;=========================================
> > sondeList=systemfunc("ls "+fdir+"D20111122_*.nc")
> >
> > ; Read all NetCDF files
> > fAll=addfiles(sondeList,"r")
> >
> > file0=addfile(sondeList(0),"r")
> >
> > ListSetType(fAll,"join")
> >
> > AttsAll=getvaratts(fAll) ;; THIS RETURNS ONLY ONE MISSING FIELD
> > print(AttsAll)
> >
> > Atts0=getvaratts(file0) ;; THIS RETURNS THE GLOBAL ATTRIBUTES
> > print(Atts0)
> >
> > I was having trouble reading in the global attributes
> > All the best,
> >
> > Nick Guy
> > nick.guy@noaa.gov

Ping Yang, Ph.D.
CUNY Environmental Crossroads Initiative
Marshak Science Building - Suite 925
The City College of New York - CUNY
160 Convent Avenue, New York NY 10031
Phone: 212-650-5769