area averaging across 0E.

From: Cathy Smith (NOAA Affiliate) <cathy.smith_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 09 2012 - 11:58:40 MST

All

I have gridded data that generally goes from 0 to 360 in longitude
(sometimes -180 to 180 though I can easily switch that to 0 to 360). I
would like to produce area averages from this data.
Sometimes, the area to be averaged will cross 0E (350E to 10E, say). I
looked and could not find any routine that does this. I thought
wgt_areaave_Wrap did but it doesn't seem to (and it doesn't give an error).
How can I easily do this? A few ways that occurred to me are to append
arrays in longitude (0 to 720) which will create very big arrays as I'm
looking at time series. Another alternative is to split up
the calculation at 0 but I would need to combine the results back
together correctly. I could flip the longitude depending on the desired
area but that wouldn't handle -10 to 200, for example though it would
handle -10 to 120.

I looked through examples and didn't see one though I would think it
would be a common task. So, maybe I'm just misunderstanding something.

Cathy Smith