Re: Qs reading grib2 files

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Nov 08 2012 - 15:58:36 MST

Hi Xiaoman,
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Generally this kind of warning is not especially serious. It simply means that new entries have been added to the GRIB2 tables that are defined world-wide by the WMO, and in this case updated by NCEP, but they have not yet been added to NCL's tables. When an entry is not found, NCL will not know the name and units of the variable but it still will provide the data. In the case of the first warning, you could expect to find in the file a variable called VAR_0_2_224. The second message relates to a whole new category of variables that was added recently. This requires a whole new file to be added. The third message I am not sure about, but I can tell you that the tables included with NCL 6.1.0 have addressed all three issues. You can update your tables without getting a new version of NCL.

I am attaching a gzipped tar file of the latest tables. You can un-tar them anywhere you like as long as you set the environment variable NIO_GRIB2_CODETABLES to point to their location. Once you are sure they work for you, you can copy them to their default location: $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables.
 -dave