Re: Interpolation

From: Shineng Hu <shineng.hu_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 21 2012 - 07:58:31 MST

Hi Dennis,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
If I want to use cubic splines to interpolate the data, do you think
function 'csa1' or 'ftcurv' could work?
Among these three functions, generally, which one do you think would make a
better approximation? Thank you very much!

Best,
Shineng

2012/11/21 Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu>

> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/**Document/Functions/**Contributed/linint1_n_Wrap.
> **shtml<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/linint1_n_Wrap.shtml>
>
> See Example 3. This is linear interpolation.
>

> On 11/20/12 9:24 PM, Shineng Hu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a question about interpolation:
>> Now I have got some monthly climatological data over a certain basin.
>> That means the data looks like: T(time, depth, lat, lon), and it has a
>> size (12, ndepth, nlat, nlon). I want to use some nice interpolation
>> method (say, cubic) to get 5-day mean climatological data. That means
>> the new data size should be (72, ndepth, nlat, nlon).
>>
>> I have seen a list of functions for interpolation, but I am not sure
>> which one to choose for my case. I look forward to your suggestions!
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Shineng

*
*
*Hu Shineng*
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences,
School of Physics,
Peking University