Re: [newbie] 3D LCC: Cartesian, rectilinear, other?

From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2012 - 13:33:14 MST

apologies for delay in responding ... preparing for a conference ...

Dennis Shea Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:32:17 -0700 (rearranged)
> Please ftp your global source file (netCDF or grib or hdf)

they're netCDF

Source is @ ftp.cgd.ucar.edu:.../incoming/source_for_3D_regrid.nc
Locally the filesize is
... 20 ... source_for_3D_regrid.nc -> ./2008N2O_restart.nc
... 6310180 ... 2008N2O_restart.nc
The datavar I want to 3D-regrid is double N2O(lev, lat, lon)

> and, if you have it, a file containing the 2d latitude and longitude
> arrays of the target grid.

Target is @ ftp.cgd.ucar.edu:.../incoming/target_for_3D_regrid_horiz.nc
Locally the filesize is
... 18 ... target_for_3D_regrid_horiz.nc -> ./GRIDCRO2D_080101
... 31316440 ... GRIDCRO2D_080101
and the relevant datavars are
float LAT(TSTEP, LAY, ROW, COL)
float LON(TSTEP, LAY, ROW, COL)

Regarding the coordinate variables:

- TSTEP is irrelevant here: it's metadata for IOAPI.

- LAY, ROW, and COL are very Cartesian integers which index the grid
  cells. The model (via IOAPI) uses them for all subsequent
  calculations. LAY is vertical layer index, ROW is north-south
  (usually) horizontal index, and COL is east-west horizontal index.

- This file has only LAY=1 (i.e., one vertical layer), but LAY=34 in the
  particular run I'm augmenting. The vertical layer heights are defined
  at each timestep, but in separate files, since, once the model starts
  running, the meteorology makes the vertical layer heights change (but
  you probably knew that).

I can send vertical heights too if desired. Note I need to regrid from
the 56 source levels to the 34 target levels, as well as regrid
horizontally.

Your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> <Roche.Tom@epa.gov>