limiting a polar stereographic plot

From: David B. Reusch <dreusch_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2012 - 17:58:59 MST

I am trying to create plots of a subset from a WRF grid and am unhappy
with my results. The metadata variables normally used with the wrfxx
plotting functions (i.e., that are created by WRF) are long gone due to
a number of postprocessing steps so those options are probably out. I
still have 2-d lat and lon and the data appear to plot correctly with a
polar stereographic gsn_csm_map_polar call -- I just need to zoom in
(i.e., limit) the plot to where I have data. The plot below shows the
default (only?) result with this approach.

This is not entirely a new situation/problem (i.e., I've had success in
the past with a masked LambertConformal) but my old solutions don't seem
to be working and I need some advice. The plot below is based on prior
techniques and has a number of drawbacks: (1) too much white space, (2)
possible spatial distortion?, (3) I'd like it flipped top-to-bottom,
i.e. S Pole at top.

In a "perfect" world, I'd be happy with something more like what ncview
can produce (this is orography, the other two are temperature-related),
i.e., a rectangular, non-distorted, white-space free plot (below). My
efforts to do things as a native projection failed spectacularly, though
it seemed reasonable to think that was the approach to take to "look
like ncview".

Script and data are theoretically available but the former is not pretty
(and it's very long since it's doing lots of other things).

For completeness, this is a Mac (10.6) and the latest NCL.

Thanks,
Dave

--
Associate Research Professor of Climatology
Dept of Earth and Environmental Science