Re: significance of eof

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2012 - 08:09:25 MST

Note in geophysical fields it is *highly* unusual to have
more than 3 significat EOFs. Usually fewer!

================
The 'classic' approach is

North, G. R., T. L. Bell, R. F. Cahalan, and F. J. Moeng, Sampling
errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions, Mon.
Wea. Rev., 110, 699–706, 1982.

See equations 24-26

Li Xiao-feng, L. Pietrafesa, Lan Shu-fang and Xie Li-an

Significance test for empirical orthogonal function (EOF) analysis of
meteorological and oceanic data

http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02842536
Monahan, et al (2009):
REVIEW: Empirical Orthogonal Functions: The Medium is the Message
http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/2009JCLI3062.1