Re: Distorted figures in Panel Plots

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 21 2012 - 13:54:54 MST

Soumik,

Thanks for providing your files and data offline.

When you panel two sets of plots, and the plots in both panels are supposed to be the same size, then you want to make sure that the panelling area you specify for each set of plots is set relative to the number of plots you have.

For example, if you are plotting two rows of plots in one panel, and one row of plots in another panel, then the panel area for the 2 rows should be twice as high as the panel area for the 1 row.

You were almost there, as you set (for the bottom row of plots):

  dresPanel@gsnPanelTop = 0.3
  dresPanel@gsnPanelBottom = 0.0

However, you needed to do something similar for the top two rows of plots:

  resPanel@gsnPanelTop = 0.9
  resPanel@gsnPanelBottom = 0.3

Note that the height for the two rows of plots is 0.6 (0.9-0.3) and for the one row is 0.3 (0.3-0.1).

This is not quite right, however, because the area specified is too big for the plots, so the lower plots will be too far down. You can make the whole area a little smaller, and make sure they are centered with:

  resPanel@gsnPanelTop = 0.8
  resPanel@gsnPanelBottom = 0.4

and

  dresPanel@gsnPanelTop = 0.4