Re: Get forecast time from GFS gribfiles

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2012 - 08:03:27 MST

There are a couple of methods for the time. I do not
have a gfs file but ...

--
Generally, a variable will have
          f = addfile(...)
          x = f->X
          printVarSummary(X)    ; <- always look at variable
          float x ( :, : )
          [snip]
          forecast_time :        24
          forecast_time_units :  hours
          initial_time : 11/11/2008 (00:00)
In your script use    x@forecast and/or x@initial_time
--
Use setfileoption in various modes.
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/setfileoption.shtml
Try and see what you get
    setfileoption(...)
    f = addfile(...)
    x = f->X
    printVarSummary(x)
Try
setfileoption("grib","SingleElementDimensions", "Initial_time")
or
setfileoption("grib","SingleElementDimensions", "Forecast_time")
or
setfileoption("grib","SingleElementDimensions", (/"Initial_time",
"Forecast_time"/))
The latter may look like:
float x ( initial_time0_hours, forecast_time1, lat_3, lon_3 )
There will be several 'time variables'
========
A more efficient method for looking at the files
is ncl_filedump via options
%> ncl_filedump gfs.grb | less
%>  ncl_filedump -itime gfs.grb | less
%>  ncl_filedump -ftime gfs.grb | less
%>  ncl_filedump -itime -ftime gfs.grb | less
Good luck