Re: PopLatLonV error message

From: David Bailey <dbailey_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 11 2012 - 09:49:01 MST

Hi Andy,

There are undocumented versions of these available (append a 2 on the
end). The PopLatLonV2 version will accept the turning angle as an
argument. You can get this from the POP history file as well.

vels_new = PopLatLonV2(UVEL, VVEL, ANGLE, ...)

where the remainder of the arguments are the same as for PopLatLonV.
Somewhere along the line, the rotation files went away for a lot of the
grids. Not sure why exactly. We use this version in the sea ice diagnostics.

Dave

On 12/11/12 9:40 AM, Andrew Mai wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 09:12 AM, Rick Brownrigg wrote:
>
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> I'm not really familar with all this, but is it
>>
>>> setenv NCL_POP_REMAPV ......
>>
>> Is that what you really typed?
>>

> Actually I set both environment variables. The issue seems to be
> missing rot_g*.nc files in the mapping directory. After consultation
> with Adam Phillips, I have decided to avoid the remap altogether and
> pass the original history file variables UVEL,VVEL with 2d ULAT and
> ULONG dimension attached to the plotting routine
> gsn_csm_contour_map_ce. This seems to be working fine. Thanks for your
> prompt response,
>
> Andy

David A Bailey                             email: dbailey_at_ucar.edu
National Center for Atmospheric Research   phone: 303-497-1737
PO Box 3000                                fax  : 303-497-1700
Boulder, CO 80307-3000
              http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/dbailey