Function for calculating time zone given lat lon

From: Manisha Ganeshan <manisha.ganeshan86_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 20 2012 - 00:40:46 MST

Hello,

Is there a script or a function that computes the local time given the
latitude longitude coordinates of a place in the US? I have procured the
lat/lon polygons for the various time zones in US but the polygons arrays
are very large. Each time zone polygon may require smoothing prior to using
with gc_inout.

I was just wondering whether perhaps this (or something simpler) has
already been done? I'll appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks,
Manisha