Re: Unwrapped cubed-sphere in NCL?

From: Will Hobbs <Will.Hobbs_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Dec 17 2012 - 16:35:27 MST

Hi Steve

It's a bit of a hack, but a suggestion that *might* work would be to
separately plot each cube face as a native stereographic (viz
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/native.shtml), and then join them
into the 'cruciform' configuration using panel plot space/position
resources. The major problem is that you would probably get contouring
discontinuities at each 'edge'.

You may already be aware of this, but if you have access to a matlab
license there are a number of cube-sphere plot tools at JPL's 'ECCO2' page
http://ecco2.jpl.nasa.gov/products/dataSelectionSimple.html. If nothing
else, the matlab code might give some help on the transformations that
need to be performed.

(I know, I know, I shouldn't be talking about matlab on the NCL forum ;-) )

Will