ESMF regridding issue

From: Kevin Vermeesch <kevin.c.vermeesch_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 02 2013 - 13:07:21 MST

Hi,
I've found an issue in the
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl script that
comes with NCL 6.1.0 and resolved it (at least for my use so far), so
I'm e-mailing to make you aware of it.

I was trying to regrid from a curvilinear to a rectilinear grid and kept
getting the error:

"write_grid_description: DstGridType and/or DstGridLat/DstGridLon were
not set. Cannot determine the destination grid type."

when I had the options attributes DstGridLat and DstGridLon set with
values assigned to them. I found in the ESMF_regridding.ncl script where
the error message was getting printed at and figured out why the code
was getting there. It is near line 2904 where the script is trying to
figure out the type of destination grid. In that section of code
(testing for a rectilinear destination grid), the last condition of the
"else if" statement tests lat_dims.ne.lon_dims. I was using 1D lat/lon
arrays that happened to be the same length (my destination lat/lon
arrays are dynamically generated in my script I use to call the ESMF
functions), so the test for a destination rectilinear grid was false and
the script was not able to determine the grid type.

I'm not sure of the significance of lat_dims not being equal to
lon_dims, but I commented-out that last condition in the else if
statement (lat_dims.ne.lon_dims) on line 2906 and the program worked
fine after that.

Kevin