Re: problem of gsn_csm_pres_hgt

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jan 14 2013 - 12:17:19 MST

NCL is complaining that your level coordinate variable does not have an
appropriate units attribute.. You can either set this manually after
PotVortHybrid is called, or you can make sure that the arrays input to
PotVortHybrid have valid vertical coordinate variable array unit
information.

Looking at the PotVortHybrid coding, the coordinate variables are copied
from your input temperature array to the array returned from
PotVortHybrid (see line 3706). In your case the coordinates are copied
from ppT30 and ppT60, so I am guessing that ppT30 and ppT60 do not have
the required attribute set in the level coordinate variable.

The simple fix is to add the following after the PotVortHybrid call:
printVarSummary(PV30) ; check to make sure there are valid
coordinate variables present
PV30&lev@units = "hPa" ; not sure whether it should be hPa or Pa; you
will have to figure that out
PV60&lev@units = "hPa"

If this does not solve your issue please respond to ncl-talk. (Keep in
mind that this function is unsupported.)