ESMF_regrid*(...) is lon-lat only?

From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 08 2013 - 13:43:30 MST

Does the currently-available NCL API for ESMF_regrid only support lon-lat? My impression was

http://www.earthsystemmodeling.org/esmf_releases/non_public/last/regridding_status.html
> Options for coordinate systems

> * Cartesian: Sometimes used for small regional grids. Coordinates
> expressed in terms of distance (e.g. x,y)

> * Spherical: The standard spherical Earth representation. Coordinates
> expressed in angles. (e.g. longitude, latitude)

so I've been working for awhile toward 3D-regridding (with InterpMethod=
"conserve") source data that is horizontally global/lon-lat/spherical
into a target format that must be regional (CONUS) and Cartesian (LCC),
which I have discussed on this list. But I notice

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/ESMF.shtml

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/ESMF/ESMF_regrid.shtml
> Regrids data from one lat/lon grid to another,

and further text on that page seems to imply (please correct me if
wrong!) that the NCL implementation does *not* support ESMF_regrid
from a source Cartesian grid to a target/destination Cartesian grid.
Am I missing something?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>