suggest/ archive unpacking/ new releases

From: Sam McClatchie (NOAA Federal) <sam.mcclatchie_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2013 - 13:51:35 MST

Ubuntu 12.04 (precise)
kernel 3.2.0-35-generic
architecture x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory 15236 MiB
NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.0

Hello Mary and Dennis

I installed NCL ver. 6.1.0 successfully last night, and as a result I
have a suggestion. The tarred zipped archive unpacks three directories
(/ncarg, /include and /bin) into $NCARG_ROOT, which in my case is
/usr/share. Since the names of two of these directories are rather
generic, you might consider whether tarring the archive to unpack into
/ncl with three sub-directories might be tidier. I'm not sure if an
overwrite would have occurred if I already had directories in
$NCARG_ROOT called /bin or /include, or whether the unpack would just go
to something like /bin(2) and /include(2). Anyway, I copied /ncarg,
/include and /bin to /usr/share/ncl and all is well.

Thanks again for your workshop.

Sam

--
Sam McClatchie,
Supervisory oceanographer, Fisheries oceanography