Re: scatter and line plot

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2013 - 12:51:39 MST

Hi Nick,
I ran a simple test using the code I attached, and I am able to get
markers and 4 lines on the same plot.. I don't think there is anything
wrong resource wise with your script. So to me that points to either
your RRbin array or your scatdat array as being the likely source of the
errors.
Hope that helps.. Adam

On 01/23/2013 12:19 PM, Nick Guy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to produce a scatter plot with fit lines overlaid.
> After consulting examples, I have put all data into a single array:
>
> scatdat=new((/5,dim sizes(Y)/),typeof(Y))
>
> I then fill each leftmost dimension with the scatter data (0) and
> different fit calculations (1:4).
>
> I use the following code to produce a scatter plot with overlaid line
> plots of different colors.
> wksSc=gsn_open_wks("ps","ZR_scatter")
>
> resS=True
> resS@gsnDraw=False
> resS@gsnFrame=False
> ; resS@gsnMaximize=True
>
> resS@xyMarkLineModes=(/"Markers","Lines","Lines","Lines","Lines"/)
> ; resS@xyMarkerColor="black"
> resS@xyMarkerColors=(/"black","red","green","blue","purple"/)
> ; resS@xyMonoLineColor=False
> resS@xyLineColors=(/"black","red","green","blue","purple"/)
> ; resS@xyMarkers=(/16,0,0,0,0/)
> resS@xyMarker=16
> ; resS@xyMarkerSizeF=0.005
> resS@xyMarkerSizes=(/0.005,.001,.001,.001,.001/)
>
> resS@trYLog=True
> resS@trXLog=True
> resS@xyLineThicknesses=(/1.,2.,2.,2.,2./)
> resS@xyDashPatterns=(/0,0,0,0,0/)
> resS@trXMinF=10e-5
> resS@trYMinF=10e-8
>
> scatter=gsn_csm_xy(wksSc,RRbin,scatdat,resS)
>

> The scatter plot data is fine, however the output lines are not
> plotting a simple line plot. Instead there is a line connecting each
> point producing a mess.
> I figure there is some mistake in my code, but I just can't find the
> issue.
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
>

> Nick Guy, Ph.D.
> NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory
> NOAA/NSSL/WRDD
> 120 David L. Boren Blvd.
> Norman, OK 73072
> (405)325-6287
> nick.guy@noaa.gov <mailto:nick.guy@noaa.gov>

Adam Phillips                                asphilli@ucar.edu
NCAR/Climate and Global Dynamics Division       (303) 497-1726
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli