Re: Reading an odd-format ascii file

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2013 - 14:05:47 MST

Gerry,

Your excerpt from the manual is a bit unclear. The data values are
coded in 5-character groups, hexadecimal, all on one long line of
text. They decode into signed integers.

To process in NCL, read in a file as all strings, identify the data
lines, break into 5-character substrings, then translate the hex
substrings to normal integers. You will have to do your own scaling
later, because I do not see the relevant information on scaling.

Special handling is needed for negative numbers with 5-character
hexadecimal format. The stringtoint function treats all such hex
strings as positive numbers. See the correction in the demo code
below. As usual, "there is more than one way to do this".

begin
infile = "ceilo.test"
data_line = 6 ; 1-based input line number
hex_len = 5 ; number of chars in each hex substring

lines = asciiread (infile, -1, "string")
hex_line = lines(data_line-1)

nchars = strlen (hex_line)
nvals = nchars / hex_len ; integer division truncates
print ("Number of 5-character hex values = " + nvals)

hex_strs = str_split_by_length (hex_line, hex_len)
ints = stringtoint ("0x" + hex_strs(0:nvals-1))
                 ; add prefix to get hexadecimal translation

max_neg = stringtoint ("0x80000")
ints = where (ints .lt. max_neg, ints, ints - (max_neg * 2))
                 ; correction for negative numbers

print (ints(0:3))
print (ints(766:))
print ("Min, max = " + min (ints) + ", " + max (ints))
end

--Dave