New version and Mac Os X 10.8.2 & XQuartz 2.7.4

From: Luis C. Cana Cascallar <lcana_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2013 - 09:53:00 MST

Hi all,

I've downloaded the new version and tested in my Mac, but still there's something wrong with XQuartz. Now, I work with two different versions: NCL 6.0.0 (it's OK, no problems) and NCL 6.1.1 with the following settings:

        * ncl.xq.fix instead of ncl (ncl behaves worse than ncl.xq.fix)
        * .hluresfile with this settings:

!=====================================
! White background/black foreground
! These are the default in V6.1.0.
*wkForegroundColor : (/0.,0.,0./)
*wkBackgroundColor : (/1.,1.,1./)

! Have a favorite colormap that you use for everything? You can
! make it your default here (note the name is NOT in quotes).
!
! In Version 6.1.0 the default is "ncl_default":
! http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/ncl_default.shtml
!
! For all available color maps, see
! http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/color_table_gallery.shtml
*wkColorMap : BlueWhiteOrangeRed

! Font - this is the default in V6.1.0.
! Use times-roman to get the pre-V6.1.0 default.
!*Font : times-roman
*Font : helvetica
! Function code - this is the default in V6.1.0.
! Use ':' to get the pre-V6.1.0 default.
*TextFuncCode : ~

! Make default X11 window larger (the default is 500x500)
*wkWidth : 800
*wkHeight : 800

! Increase the default (16mb) contour memory
! For example, if you have gridded data that
! is larger than 500 x 500, you may need this.
*wsMaximumSize: 32556688
!==========================================

I tried one scripts which works with the 6.0.0 version, and these are some of the warnings:

$ ncl.xq.fix Datos_geogrid_USGS.ncl

 Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

Variable: vNames (subsection)
Type: string
Total Size: 8 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [1]
Coordinates:
(0) XLAT_M
fatal:_NhlUseWorkspace: Allocation of workspace would exceed maximum total size
fatal:ContourPlotPreDraw: error reserving label area map workspace
fatal:ContourPlotPreDraw: Error reserving workspace
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
warning:WorkstationDeactivate: workstation not active or not opened
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

(attached the X11 output)

I'm surprised, because I'm using the same workspace size that is suggested in the NCL homepage. There are no problems with the RAM (8 GB, at least 2 GB free), NCARG_ROOT is pointing to the right place. Could you confirm that it's a problem with XQuartz or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Best,

Luis

Luis Cana Cascallar
ULPGC