Re: Wavy contour lines in contour plot

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2013 - 13:25:57 MST

Hi Ekin,
If you are asking about how to make the contours smoother, then you have
two options:

1) Let NCL (semi-) automatically smooth the data:
Set cnSmoothingOn = True
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnSmoothingOn
You may also need to set cnSmoothingTensionF and/or cnSmoothingDistanceF
as is stated in the link above.

2) Smooth the data yourself:
Before passing the data to gsn_csm_contour, you can smooth it yourself.
I would recommend smth9_Wrap:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/smth9_Wrap.shtml

Good luck,
Adam