Re: Box plot line and fill

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2013 - 10:21:10 MST

Hi Noel,

How did you create the box plots? "cnFillPatterns" only works for contour plots. "xyDashPatterns" will only work if you created the box plots using an XY plot.

If you are talking about true box plots via the "boxplot" function, then I think you can try setting gsLineDashPattern and "boxColors".

If this doesn't do what you want, then you will need to modify the "boxplot" function in shea_util.ncl to change the dash patterns or colors as desired This is pretty simple to do. My recommendation is to copy this function to your own xxx.ncl file, and rename it before you make changes.

Then you can call your modified version instead of this version. Search for lines like:

     polyres@gsLineDashPattern = 0
     polyres@gsLineColor = "black" ; color of lines

              polyres@gsLineColor = boxcolor(0)

            polyres@gsLineColor = boxcolor(gg)

and replace as necessary.

To get varying shades of gray, you can load a color map that consists of grays (like "gsltod"), and then your boxColors array can be color indexes into this table.

If you are not talking about box plot as I've described them above, then please be more specific about how you are creating them.

--Mary