Re: On the global surface plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Mar 17 2013 - 22:35:51 MDT

Dear Jiafu,

There's no function specifically for drawing a north arrow to a plot. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by scale.

However, you can use any one of the NCL fonts as a marker, and then add it to your map using gsn_add_polymarker. You can add text to your map using gsn_add_text:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_add_polymarker.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_add_text.shtml

To see NCL's font tables, go to:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/font_tables.shtml

and click on any one of the lines to see more character from that table. Of particular interest might be these tables:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/font34.png
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/font36.png
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/font37.png

If you find something, remember which character and which font table it is associated with, and then use NhlNewMarker to create an index for it that you can use with "gsn_add_polymarker" and the "gsMarkerIndex" resource.

We have some examples of adding your own markers using gsn_add_polymarker and gsnMarkerIndex at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml

Example polyg_7.ncl uses NhlNewMarker, and examples polyg_{3,8,14}.ncl on the same page use the gsMarkerIndex resource.

For adding the scale, if you are talking about a text string, then you can use gsn_add_text string. There are examples of gsn_add_text string on the same page (see polyg_12.ncl)

Good luck,

--Mary