EOF and correlation

From: Partha S Bhattacharjee <pbhatta2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 20 2013 - 20:09:39 MDT

Hi,

I am a new NCL user and have some problem using the EOF function.
I have annual mean of precipitation (lat X lon X years) over a region and took first 3 eofs (using eofunc_Wrap) to plot the spatial pattern map and time series. However, I want to find the linear cross-correlation using escorc of those eof's with global annual sst (lat X lon X year) for the same time duration. But escorc needs time in the rightmost axis for both x and y. Time is absent in the eof components (they have eof X lat X lon).

 I believe, the other way round is to reshape the gridded files in to column (using ndtooned to have lat X lon in one dimension) and do the eof (years X latlon) which will return eof components X year and can be correlated with SST using escorc. Is this a correct way of doing this?

Please suggest if any other way of doing the correlation.