question on how to calculate the area sum with two-dimensional coordinates data

From: <tingting_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Mar 27 2013 - 11:40:02 MDT

Hello,
I am doing the MRI-CGCM3 model output validation and need to calculate
SIE(sea ice extent), the coordinates of MRI output are two-dimensional,
while the NCL function(wgt_areasum2) seems to deal with data with regular
coordinates, right?
So,my question is that how to calculate the area sum? Or, do I need to
regrid the MRI to regular-grid data?
Thank you for any coming help in advance.
Tingting