Re: grid-cell specific percentiles: sorting without missing values to find percentile

From: Marc Pace Marcella <marcpace_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2013 - 15:30:39 MDT

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the email, much appreciated. I am hoping to get back a 2D array still in the lat-lon.

Essentially, I want to remove all the non-dusty days (vals below 0.1) and then have maps of constant frequency by calculating the grid-cell specific percentile. For example, I would have a 2D lat-lon map dust values for my domain that corresponds to the 90th percentile for each grid-cell. What makes this tricky is that each grid cell will have a different number of days in which there is no dust (vals below 0.1), and I dont want to use/count those (or set them to 0.0) as it will skew the percentile dust value to be too low. I only want to have the percentiles, given there is a dust event. Im not sure if Im confusing in my explanation, but please do let me know if it makes sense. Ive been playing around with the pqsort function which seems to sort my 2D array that has the missing values and places those at the beginning slots of the grid/time step but stlll at a bit of a loss.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Marc