Re: Memory constraints?

From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate <gerry.creager_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jun 05 2013 - 09:44:50 MDT

32 GB is available, Dennis. I was a little surprised, and wanted to make
sure there wasn't something here before I dig a little deeper. And, your
estimate confirms the calculations I'd also done offline.

Adam, I'll try 'top'. I'll only violate a few constraints of the HPC
group's policies in the process...

Thanks, Folks!
gerry

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:

> Even a 32-bit version of NCL can handle 1.79GB variables.
>
> How much memory is available on the machine you are using?
> ------------------------------**-----------------------------
> dimx = 449l ; l means 64 bit signed integers
> dimy = 399l
> ens_size = 50l
> dimz = 50l
> vsize = dimx*dimy*dimz*ens_size ; variable size
> bytes = 4*vsize ; bytes per variable
> tsize = 3*bytes ; total size (3 variable)
>
> print("vsize="+vsize) ; 447,877,500
> print("bytes="+bytes) ; 1,791,510,000
> print("tsize="+tsize) ; 5,374,530,000
>

> On 6/4/13 5:02 PM, Adam Phillips wrote:
>
>> Hi Gerry,
>> I do not believe NCL has a memory limit. I've recently run a NCL script
>> that took 75GB of memory at its' peak. This sounds like a machine
>> running out of memory, although your 3 arrays combined take just short
>> of 6GB which isn't that much. You can run "top" in another window on
>> that machine to see what memory your job is taking (and what memory is
>> available on that machine at that time).
>> Hope that helps.
>> Adam
>>
>> On 6/4/13 4:26 PM, Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>>
>>> We're playing with a script that has the following snippet of code:
>>>
>>> dimx = 449
>>> dimy = 399
>>> ens_size = 50
>>> over_id = new((/10/),"graphic")
>>>
>>> x_start = 1
>>> x_end = dimx-1
>>> y_start = 1
>>> y_end = dimy-1
>>>
>>> height = 1000.
>>> dimz = 50
>>>
>>> Uwind_a = new((/dimz,dimy,dimx,ens_size/**),"float")
>>> Vwind_a = new((/dimz,dimy,dimx,ens_size/**),"float")
>>> dbz_a = new((/dimz,dimy,dimx,ens_size/**),"float")
>>>
>>> We're seeing an NclMalloc error after the last 'new'. Is there a limit
>>> in NCL I need to look at or do you think this is simple memory
>>> exhaustion on the machine?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Gerry
>>> --
>>> Gerry Creager