Re: hovmueller plots

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 10 2013 - 09:50:02 MDT

On Jun 10, 2013, at 8:26 AM, Marston Johnston wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to put together a series of hovmeuller plots using the gsn_panel() function,
> But I'm unsure of the data configuration that NCL expects. My data is created
> array(time,lon), where time is a grid -48h to 48h at every 3h and lon is -10 to 10 at every 1 degree. How does NCL expect the in data to be oriented?

FYI: Hovmueller plots are just contour plots with longitude on the X axis and time on the Y axis. We have a "gsn_csm_hov" function, which states that the longitude must be the rightmost dimension, and time is the leftmost dimension, which is what you have.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_csm_hov.shtml

Have you tried using gsn_csm_hov? I think your data should be fine as it is.

Here are some hovmueller examples:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/time_lon.shtml

--Mary