Re: Problem extracting nc to txt

From: Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 13 2013 - 10:18:03 MDT

John,

Inside four nested loops, you are building very long strings, by
adding one element at a time. This is extremely inefficient in NCL,
because a copy of every new long substring is permanently stored in
program memory. So memory consumption is order (2) for what should be
an order (1) task. There is a similar relation for CPU time to copy
each long substring length(m) to the next longer substring
length(m+7). You can get away with this method for small arrays, but
it bogs down for larger arrays.

Try reshaping the 4-D numeric input array to a 2-D numeric output
array. Include extra columns for your index columns, lat and lon.
Then output the 2-D numeric array to a text file using write_matrix,
which has the desired format control.

--Dave