Difference in PDF NCL and numpy

From: Marston Johnston <shejo284_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 17 2013 - 06:46:02 MDT

Hi,

I used NCL to calculate the PDF of rain rates over several regions in the
Tropics.
I was surprised by the differences I received between Python's bumpy module
and NCL PDF. I actually think the NCL results are incorrect.

I'll attach the figures: NCL = rr_pdf_per_water_land.pdf and Python:
land_ocean.pdf
I also attached my NCL script: total_rr_stats_regions.ncl

I don't understand how NCL treats FillValues when doing statistics. One
thing is for sure, the pdfs NCL creates are incorrect.

Would appreciate some edification on this topic :-)

/Marston

--
Only the fruitful thing is true!