eofunc - percentage of variance explained

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jun 24 2013 - 10:41:19 MDT

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to duplicate the previous efforts of a colleague in
calculating some EOFs. While their work, done with MATLAB, and my work in
NCL have come out to be very similar in a qualitative sense, the
quantitative aspects are slightly different. Most of these differences are
made apparent in terms of the percentage of variance explained. While I see
some discussion of this in ncl-talk discussions from many years ago, I
haven't found anything particularly conclusive yet. In order to trace the
source of the differences as best as possible, I was wondering if someone
on the NCL team could share the eofunc source code with me.

Also, if anyone on the list has any insight as to why the percentage
explained between NCL and MATLAB might be inherently different, I'd be
interested in hearing it. Thanks!

Kyle
Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu