Re: Number of bins in pdfx function

From: Maria Gehne <mgehne_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 03 2013 - 11:21:14 MDT

Hi Ioannis,

I don't know of a way to directly specify the bin spacing in pdfx. But
if you know the min and max values of your data it should be easy to
work out the number of bins to use to get the spacing you want.

Something along the lines of

nbins = (max - min)/bin_spacing

( just make sure this is an integer number)

You can also specify the bin_min and bin_max you want to use as
attributes to the opt argument. This way you can be sure what these
values are when calculating the pdf and that nbins is an integer.

Hope this helps,
Maria

On 07/03/2013 08:30 AM, Ioannis Koletsis wrote:

> Dear NCL users,
>
> I would like to calculate the pdf of wind speed using bin spacing of
> 0.2 m/s, but the function pdfx obligate me to define the number of
> bins....
>
> Is there any way to calculate the pdf, setting only the bin_spacing
> without specifying the number of bins?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dr. Ioannis Koletsis
>
> National Observatory of Athens
> Institute for Environmental Research
> Lofos Koufou
> 15236-Penteli
> Athens-Greece
> Tel: +30 210 8109203 <tel:210%208109127>, Fax: +30 210 8103236
> <tel:210%208103236>
> e-mail: _koletsis@meteo.noa.gr <mailto:lagouvar@meteo.noa.gr>_

> Weather forecasts: http://www.noa.gr/forecast (in english)
> or http://www.meteo.gr <http://www.meteo.gr/> (in greek)