CloudSat and NCL

From: Marston Johnston <shejo284_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 23 2013 - 07:53:06 MDT

Hi,

I'm trying to use NCL to bin CloudSat granules from 2007 and 2008. I'll be
using the bin_sum function and modifying the example given in

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/cloudsat_1.ncl.
I have a few things I'd like to ask:

1.) I tried to convert the HDF files to netcdf, since I work mostly with
netcdf files, but ncl_convert2nc failed to convert the files. I'm using NCL
version 6.1.0. According to
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Tools/ncl_convert2nc.shtml, this function
should be able to convert CloudSat files. The error I got is:

*********
ncl_convert2nc 2007001005141_03607_CS_2B-GEOPROF_GRANULE_P_R04_E02.hdf
fatal:syntax error: line 1 before or near 2007001005141
ncl_convert2nc 2007001005141
---------------------------^

fatal:error in statement
*********

Ok, I can use ncl to read the hdd 4 data instead of converting first and
this should be ok. But I'm curious as to why the conversion failed. Did I
misunderstand the docs for NCL?

2.) The data is expressed on geometric height and I would like to express
it on pressure levels instead. The temperature with in each profile is
available in the granules. Can NCL do this? I did a quick search in the
function list but to no avail.

Appreciate the help,
/M