Re: speed of polyline plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Aug 14 2013 - 18:25:42 MDT

Hi Lijun,

We are working on ways to speed up the polyline code, and actually, I think the code is already done. We just haven't released it to the general public yet.

In the meanwhile, you can try this modified version, which just draws the shapefile outlines instead of attaching them.

When you attach them, this gets real slow because it has to create a new object for every polyline you attach, which is 2000 segments, for each of your 400 pictures.

The only issue with using this code is that if you resize the plot later, like for a panel plot, then it won't work because the lines are not attached to the plot.

To use this code, you want to change your code from something like this:

  poly = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,map,shp_filename,pres)
  draw(map)
  frame(wks)

to something like this:

  draw(map)
  gsn_shapefile_polylines(wks,map,shp_filename,pres)
  frame(wks)

Make sure you include:

load "./gsn_shapefile_polylines.ncl"

at the top of your script, after any other load commands.

--Mary