Re: Bias correction

From: Noel Aloysius <noel.aloysius_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Aug 08 2013 - 10:05:09 MDT

As Dennis responded to an earlier posting, there are no functions to do
that, but, you can write your own code in NCL to do the bias correction.

For example I believe the methodology described in the following papers are
easy to implement in NCL,

Li, H., J. Sheffield, et al. (2010). "Bias correction of monthly
precipitation and temperature fields from Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change AR4 models using equidistant quantile matching." J. Geophys.
Res. 115(D10): D10101.

Ines, A. V. M. and J. W. Hansen (2006). "Bias correction of daily GCM
rainfall for crop simulation studies." Agricultural and Forest Meteorology
138(1–4): 44-53. (Ines's fortran programs are available online)

Piani, C., G. P. Weedon, et al. (2010). "Statistical bias correction of
global simulated daily precipitation and temperature for the application of
hydrological models." Journal of Hydrology 395(3-4): 199-215.

There are also R packages for this. It will be a bit more helpful if you
specify your goals more clearly.

By the way, you didn't mention what kind data you want to apply bias
correction (precip, temp etc); is it global scale, regional or a few
locations in your study area ....

Noel

Noel Aloysius