Re: after filling missing value with linmsg, then mask the sea, the result showed nothing done with interpolation.

From: Maria Gehne <mgehne_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Aug 08 2013 - 10:26:40 MDT

Your data appears to have very high spatial resolution. Have you
considered that these might be lakes? You don't mention what land sea
mask you are using, so maybe it includes larger lakes with the ocean
values? Can you give us more information about that?

I'm mentioning this because in you first example, there are actually new
places with missing values after you mask that weren't there before.

Maria

On 08/08/2013 02:41 AM, dyjbean wrote:
> hi,
> i met a question after interpolating with linmsg.
> my data is time×lat×lon around the world, there exists some missing
> value in land surface, i want to fill those
> missing value with linmsg, so i do the interpolation with three steps:
> firstly, mask the sea;
> secondly, interpolation
> thirdly, mask the sea again, and write the interpolation result to a
> file.
> these some key codes are as following:
> yt2m = fin->TMP_GDS0_SFC({latS:latN},{lonL:lonR})
> yt2m= where(ismissing(yt2m),-9999.,yt2m)
> yt2m@_FillValue =-9999.
> Origyt2m= yt2m
> yt2m=mask(yt2m,lsm({latS:latN},{lonL:lonR}).eq.0,False)
> yt2m=linmsg(yt2m,-1)
> yt2m=mask(yt2m,lsm({latS:latN},{lonL:lonR}).eq.0,False)
> those black circle region shows interpoltion zone.
> if i comment out the second mask code, then i got the following result:
> yt2m = fin->TMP_GDS0_SFC({latS:latN},{lonL:lonR})
> yt2m= where(ismissing(yt2m),-9999.,yt2m)
> yt2m@_FillValue =-9999.
> Origyt2m= yt2m
> yt2m=mask(yt2m,lsm({latS:latN},{lonL:lonR}).eq.0,False)
> yt2m=linmsg(yt2m,-1)
> ;yt2m=mask(yt2m,lsm({latS:latN},{lonL:lonR}).eq.0,False)
> the interpolation effect show better in the three circle, but the sea
> didn't mask.
> so my question is how can i mask the sea besides good interpolation
> effect ?

Maria Gehne
Postdoctoral Fellow
NCAR/CGD/CAS