Re: Lambert Conformal Grid

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Aug 28 2013 - 15:53:00 MDT

Agnes (and Rick):
Well the model this GRIB is associated with is the "North Pacific Hurricane Wave Model" so it seems natural that it is centered over the Pacific. I am attaching a plot of the area covered by the data as
specified in the GRIB lat/lon coordinate attributes. As the message indicates, the error stems from attempting to mask the conformal projection. The masking routine expects the plot to lie solely in the Northern or Southern
hemisphere. That is because its purpose is to remove the "hole" in the projection that occurs wrapping around the pole. See the two frames of the first plot in the masked LC example page if this is not clear (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/lcmask.shtml).

For a regional LC projection that does not include the polar area, there is no need to mask the projection.
So the first suggestion is to remove:
 res@gsnMaskLambertConformal = True

Second if you set up the projection based on the lat/lon variable attributes in the GRIB file you can do a "native" projection, which is faster and presents the data as the GRIB producer output it.
The projection resources you would use are:

res@mpProjection = "lambertconforma
res@mpLambertParallel1F = lat2d@Latin1 ; (36.228)
res@mpLambertParallel2F = lat2d@Latin2 ; (36.228)
res@mpLambertMeridianF" : lat2d@Lov ; (-122.246)
res@mpLimitMode = "corners"
res@mpLeftCornerLonF = lon2d@corners(0) ; (-168.719)
res@mpLeftCornerLatF = lat2d@corners(0) ; (-8.035)
res@mpRightCornerLonF = lon2d@corners(2) : (-45.67911)
res@mpRightCornerLatF = lat2d@corners(2) ; (42.22018)

Additionally set

res@tfDoNDCOverlay = True

and don't use the lat2d, lon2d coordinate attributes.

However, you can use any projection for this data if you don't set tfDoNDCOverlay and do use the lat2d, lon2d coordinates.

Hope this helps.
 -dave