Convergence Plotting issues

From: brianjs _at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah <_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Aug 27 2013 - 21:25:40 MDT

Good Afternoon,

I attempted to plot divergence/convergence for winds at four specific
levels above the surface layer and have had success with WRF data, but not
with RUC. As can been by the two WRF images (Upper_Air_Convergence plots),
I obtained the product I wanted, but with the other two images
(RUC_Wind_Conv plots), the divergence/convergence contours do not seem to
portray anything realistic compared to their WRF counterparts. Despite the
RUC data being at 13 km and the WRF at 4 km, I can't imagine the difference
in resolution would have this much of an impact on the convergence
contours. Most likely, I am probably missing a key function somewhere that
was automatically used in a WRF overlay function with the WRF code. Also,
WRF-NCL seems to have an automatic contouring scheme that separates
positive values with solid contours and negative values with dashed
contours. What would be the NCL contour function that does this manually? I
would need to implement it in the ruc script. I searched the NCL functions
only to find changes in color schemes and not line types.

Attached are the two codes, the first for the successful WRF plots
(convergence.ncl) and the other for the RUC plots in question
(ruc_conv.ncl). I appreciate any input that can be provided! Please also
copy my email into the reply (brianjs@iastate.edu) in case I do not receive
the notification email (which has happened to me on occasion).

Brian Squitieri
Graduate Research Assistant
Iowa State University